Bleeding gums are a common and concerning issue—and they are often a sign of an underlying dental problem. While it’s important to consult your Fioritto dentist for a proper diagnosis and treatment, there are steps you can take at home to help stop bleeding gums.
Here are 10 easy ways to stop your gums from bleeding:
- Practice proper brushing: One of the leading causes of bleeding gums is improper brushing technique. Make sure you’re using a soft-bristle toothbrush and brushing your teeth gently. Use a fluoride toothpaste and spend at least two minutes brushing, making sure to reach all areas of your mouth.
- Floss regularly: Flossing is crucial to remove plaque and food particles stuck between your teeth and along the gumline. Be gentle when flossing to avoid irritating your gums, and do it at least once a day.
- Rinse with saltwater: Saltwater rinses can help soothe your gums and reduce inflammation. Mix half a teaspoon of salt in warm water and swish it around your mouth for 30 seconds. Repeat this a few times a day.
- Stay hydrated: Proper hydration can help maintain healthy saliva production, which plays a vital role in oral health. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your mouth moist and reduce the risk of gum irritation.
- Increase vitamin C intake: Vitamin C is known to promote gum health. Include citrus fruits, strawberries, and vegetables like bell peppers in your diet to boost your vitamin C intake. It can help strengthen your gums and reduce bleeding.
- Avoid tobacco products: Tobacco use is linked to gum disease and bleeding gums. Quitting smoking or using smokeless tobacco products can improve your oral health and reduce the risk of gum issues.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods: Sugary and acidic foods can contribute to gum inflammation and tooth decay. Reduce your consumption of these items, and be sure to brush and rinse your mouth after indulging in them.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash: An antiseptic mouthwash can help kill harmful bacteria and reduce gum inflammation. Look for a mouthwash with the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance, or ask your Fioritto dentist for a recommendation.
- Chew sugar-free gum: Chewing sugar-free gum, especially gum with xylitol, can stimulate saliva production and help cleanse the mouth. Saliva has natural antibacterial properties that can aid in gum health.
- Manage stress: Stress can weaken your immune system and increase the risk of gum disease. Incorporate stress-reduction techniques like meditation, yoga or deep breathing exercises into your daily routine to promote overall health—including your oral health.
While these easy remedies can help alleviate bleeding gums, it’s important to remember that they are not a substitute for professional dental care. If your gums continue to bleed or if you notice other oral health issues, be sure to schedule an appointment with your friendly Fioritto dentist today. We’ll help identify the root cause of your bleeding gums and create an oral healthcare plan to follow.