How long has it been since you’ve been to the dentist? If you suffer from dental anxiety, you may likely cancel your next appointment… and the one after that too!
The good news is Fioritto Family Dental strives to make your dental visit a completely stress-free experience. From the moment you walk into our office, our staff will cater to your every need! We will happily answer all of your questions to alleviate any concern. For our patients with high dental anxiety, we offer sedation dentistry; sleep comfortably while your dental work is performed. Your dental experience will be a dream!
Tips to reduce your dental anxiety.
- Find a good fit. The best way to reduce your fear of the dentist is to find a dentist you like and who makes you feel comfortable.
- Tell your dentist about your fear. Look for a dentist who caters to phobic patients. They can help you overcome your fear, and will do what they can to calm and guide you through the procedure.
- Talk to a professional counselor. If you want to stop dental anxiety in its tracks, speak to a psychologist or psychiatrist who specializes in phobia resolution. Many people keep their fears to themselves; opening up to a professional about your fear/phobia can be life-changing.
- Bring a friend. Many patients find it helpful to bring a friend or family member to a dental appointment. Most people are happy to tag along, you simply have to ask them!
- Ask plenty of questions. Sometimes we fear the dentist because we don’t know what to expect. If that’s you, ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable. Dentists will happily answer your questions.
- Make yourself comfortable. Being physically comfortable can help you overcome anxiety. Bring a warm blanket to help with relaxation. Wear ear buds or headphones to listen to music, podcasts or an audio book.
- Ask to take breaks. Your dentist will be happy to pause a dental procedure if you feel overwhelmed. Once you’re calm, your dentist can resume. Dentists are trained to recognize anxiety or discomfort. It’s quite common for a dentist to pause and inquire if a patient is ok even before the patient says something.
- Try sedation dentistry. If you’re having difficulty overcoming your dental anxiety with other stress-reducing methods, consider sedation dentistry. It’s very safe and effective—you’ll drift off to sleep, then awaken to a beautiful smile.
Fioritto Family dentists are committed to providing compassionate dental care for our most anxious patients. Call us today learn more about sedation dentistry or to schedule an appointment.